Courtesy of Marrazzo’s
Greetings, fellow plant lovers!
As winter whispers its imminent arrival, it’s not just the time for layering up and enjoying steamy drinks; it’s also the moment to get our gardens ready for the frosty days ahead. Here at Marrazzo’s, we’re as passionate about plants as you are, and we’ve tailored a guide to ensure your garden is snug and secure for the winter. Let’s embark on this seasonal gardening journey together!
- Clear the Grounds Embark on a garden clean-up by discarding any decayed plants, weeds, or debris. This action is more than cosmetic—it prevents unwanted guests and diseases from lingering through the winter, promising a spotless beginning for spring.
- Pruning and Insulation Not every plant requires a pre-winter trim, but for those that do, now’s the time to act. Remove any dead or infirm branches and cut back perennials. Then, safeguard tender shrubs by wrapping them in burlap, guarding against the cold bites and snowfall.
- Mulch Application Mulching with materials like straw, leaves, or wood chips acts as a protective coat, helping maintain soil moisture and even temperature. It also deters those eager weeds that await the spring thaw.
- Proper Watering Despite the drop in temperature, plants still need water. Water them deeply, especially the evergreens and newly established greenery, to secure their hydration needs for the upcoming dry winter period.
- Care for Container Plants Shift your container plants to a sheltered space to escape the frost’s nip. Particularly for delicate terracotta pots, bring them inside or wrap them to avoid any cracking.
- Vegetable Patch Enrichment It’s time to treat your vegetable patch with some compost or manure. Throughout the winter, these nutrients will integrate into the soil, prepping a fertile bed for your spring sowing.
- Lawn Love Administer a final mow to your lawn, then aerate and apply a winter fertilizer. This regimen strengthens the roots, promising a lush, green comeback with the spring’s warmth.
- Garden Tool TLC Clean, hone, and lubricate your gardening tools, then store them in a dry spot. This care extends their life and ensures they’re in top shape for spring’s gardening resurgence.
- Dream and Design Cozy up with your hot beverage of choice and begin planning your garden’s future. Flip through seed catalogs, note down your desired plant additions, and draft any new garden designs.
- Winter Wildlife Set up bird feeders and water baths to encourage avian visitors. Their presence is not only enjoyable but they also play a role in pest management during the colder months.
With these steps, your garden is primed to weather the winter. The care you invest now lays the groundwork for a flourishing garden when the seasons turn. For any questions or gardening needs, Marrazzo’s is here to assist!
Wishing you a joyful winter gardening season! Stay snug and warm!